As many of you probably heard, I am trying my hand at beekeeping this year for the first time. Back in January, I ordered my ‘nuc’ (short for nuclear unit), then I bought the pieces and assembled my hive, and painted it turquoise and yellow.
When my nuc arrived in April, I drove to the pick-up location and put the sketchily-secured container of 12,000 anxious bees, with a not-at-all-secured screened entrance into my subaru and very carefully and nervously drove 3 miles to the apiary where I am now keeping them.
I’ve been a pretty hands-off beekeeper so far-just enough to keep them happy. I go there once every week or two, open up the hive to check the brood pattern and make sure the queen is still laying eggs. Since they have been doing so well, I have also been
checking for queen cells and drone comb-signs that they are getting ready to swarm. I have been giving them extra space when necessary, by exchanging brood frames that were full of honey for empty ones so they can use them for brood, and by adding the honey supers. In doing so, we got our first harvest of honey, and probably a pound of wax that I have been testing out lip balm recipes with.
Hey all! I had a couple new card designs printed recently-the ladybug and the western thatching ant are brand new and I’m really happy with how they turned out. I also found some fancy colored envelopes so each card has a matching envelope.
Here are a couple pics of the full set. I started selling packs on Etsy if anyone is interested. Next task: get Paxton Gate (arguably the coolest store in PDX) to sell them for me 😉